- Moong dal (yellow) – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Onion – 1 medium; thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 4 numbers; slit
- Potato – 1 medium; cut into small cubes
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Randaampaal – 3 cups (freshly extracted)
- Onnampaal – 3/4 cup (freshly extracted)
For the seasoning:-
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Dry red chillies – 3 numbers; split
- Curry leaves – a few
- Heat 1 tsp. of ghee in a wok & fry the moog dal for 3-4 minutes. Wash the dal thoroughly. Combine the dal, potato cubes, salt, onion, greenchillies, turmeric powder and thin coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil & cover cook on low heat till the dal and potatoes are cooked.
- Add the thick coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Finally, heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a wok & splutter the mustard seeds . Stir in the dry red chilies and curry leaves and pour this seasoning over the curry.
- This goes very well with rice.