- Matta Aval – 4.5 cups + 1 cup; dry roasted
- Jaggery – 1 cup or 200 grams; grated
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Cashews/Almonds – 1/4 cup; coarsely chopped
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp.
- Grind together the grated coconut and jaggery in a mixer/blender.
- Powder 4.5 cups of beaten rice and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a wok & roast the cashews till golden bown in colour. Let cool down. Add the powdered rice flakes, cardamom powder and the jaggery-coconut mixture. Mix.
- Powder 1 cup of beaten rice separately.
- Make small lime sized balls from the mixture. Roll in the aval powder.