For the base layer:-
- Plain flour – 1.75 cups or 175 grams; sifted
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Chilled Butter – 112 grams; cut into smaller cubes
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Brown sugar – 3/4 cup + 2 level tbsps. or 175 grams
- Salted and roasted peanuts without skin- 1/2 cup; coarsely chopped
- Egg – half a large egg
For the peanut butter layer:-
- Sweetened condensed milk – 200 grams or 1/2 tin
- Chunky peanut butter – 35 grams
For the final layer:-
Milk chocolate chips/chunks – 100 grams or slightly less than 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and mix till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the brown sugar, nuts and mix again. Remove 2 tbsps. of this mixture and reserve. Add egg to the remaining flour mixture and press this mixture very well on to the base of a 9″x 9″ square pan. Bake the base at 180C for 20 minutes.
- While the base is baking, combine the peanut butter and condensed milk. Pour this mixture over the hot base.
- Add the reserved 2 tbsps. of flour mixture to the chocolate chips/chunks and toss.Sprinkle the chocolate chunks over the condensed milk-peanut butter layer.
- Bake further at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into pieces.