For the fragrant rice
- Basmathi Rice–1.5 cups
- Bayleaf – 1
- Cardamom – 2 no.s
- Ghee –1 tbsp.
- Water –3 cups
- Salt – 1 .5 tsps.
- Onion – 1 number; thinly sliced and deep-fried till golden brown and crisp
For the chana -chana dal masala
- Dried chickpeas – 1/2 cup (measured before soaking)
- Cloves – 1 number
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Chana dal – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Thinly Sliced Onion- 1.5 cups
- Green Chillies – 2 numbers (made into a paste)
- Garlic – 4 big cloves (made into a paste)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp (made into a paste)
- Shallots – 5 numbers (made into a paste)
- Curry leaves – a few
- Shahijeerah powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 level tsp.
- Chopped tomato – 1/2 cup
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Chopped Mint leaves – 1/8 cup
- Curd – 2 tsbps., whisked
- Lime juice – 1 tsp.
For the layering:-
- Milk/Cream – 2 tbsps.
- Turmeric powder/yellow food colour – 1/2 tsp.
- Rose water – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp.
For the Chana – Chana dal masala
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight for 8-10 hours. Cook the chana adding 1.25 cup of water, 1 clove, 1″ piece of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. of salt in a pressure cooker. Simmer for 18 minutes after the first whistle. Open the cooker when the pressures subside. Separate the cooked chana from water and keep aside. To the same water used for cooking the chana, add the chana dal amd 2 more tbsps. of water. Simmer for 10 minutes after the first whistle. Open the cooker once the pressures subside.
- In a broad non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp. of ghee and 1 tbsp. of oil. Add the sliced onions and cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Stir in the pounded ginger, garlic, shallot and greenchilly mixture and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Stir in the curry leaves. Add shahjeerah powder and chilli powder and saute for a minute and then add the chopped tomato. Stir fry for 15-20 minutes or till oil starts to separate. Add the cilantro, chopped mint, garam masala powder, cooked chana and chana dal.
- Stir in the curd, lime juice and mix well. Remove from heat. This is the masala.
For the fragrant rice
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice.
- Heat ghee and add all the spices. When fragrant add the rice and fry till the rice turns opaque.
- Add 3 cups of boiling water and 1.5 tsps. of salt to the rice. Bring to a second boil, lower heat and cover cook till the rice is soft and all the water is absorbed. Let it stand undisturbed for 10 more mins.
- Add the fried onions & mix.
For the layering and dum
- Mix the turmeric powder, garam masala powder and rose water with milk.
- Take an oven-proof dish. Spread half of the cooked rice. Pour half of the milk mixture over the rice. Spread the chana- chana dal masala over the rice, followed by the remaining rice. Pour the remaining milk over the rice.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Keep it undisturbed for 30 minutes. Mix the rice carefully with the masala.
- Serve with raitha and pickle or brinjal kurma.
Source:- Mrs. Ummi Abdullah