For the dough:-
- Plain flour – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp. (level)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Buttermilk – as needed
For the paneer filling:-
- Paneer – 1 cup; grated
- Tomato paste – 1 tsp. ( I used Saudia brand)
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsps.
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp.
- Red chilly flakes – 1/2 tsp.
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp.
- Rosemary – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Garlic – 1 small clove; minced
- Egg – 1 number; beaten
- Breadcrumbs – as needed
- Oil for deep-frying
- For the dough, mix together the plain flour, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk and knead to make a soft dough. Shape the dough into a circle. Apply little oil all over the dough and keep covered for 15 minutes.
- For the paneer mixture, mix together the paneer, tomato paste, ketchup, salt, pepper powder, chilly flakes, oregano, rosemary and minced garlic. Refrigerate this mixture for 30 minutes.
- To make the pockets, roll the prepared dough into a thin sheet and cut into rectangles. Take one rectangle and wet the edges with water. Place the paneer filling on one half of the rectangle and cover it with the other half. Seal the edges thoroughly.
- Repeat with other portions of the dough and filling.
- Dip each pocket in beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs and deep fry in hot oil till golden brown and crisp.