- Dates – 250 grams; seeded
- Chana dal – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1.75 cups
- Coconut mik powder – 1.5 heaping tbsps.
- Solid Ghee – 2 tbsps.+ 2 tbsps.; divided
- Sugar – 3/4 to 1 cup (Depends on the sweetness of the dates you use)
- Cashews – 1/4 cup; coarsely chopped
- Powdered cardamom – 1 tsp.
- Powdered cumin – 3/4 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Soak the dates in hot water for 1 hour. Drain the water from the dates and keep the dates aside.
- Cook the chana dal adding water in a pressure cooker. Simmer for 15 minutes after the first whistle. Add the coconut milk powder and mix.
- Grind the cooked dal along with sugar and dates to a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of ghee in a heavy bottom pan & add the dates-chana dal paste. Also stir in the chopped cashews. Cook till the mixture starts to come together as a mass and leave the sides of the pan. Add the remaining 2 tbsps. of ghee as you cook the mixture. Add the salt, powdered cardamom and cumin. Transfer this mixture to a greased cake tin/ plate and cover with a foil.
- Cook in the steamer for 30-35 minutes.