- Kaima rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tbsps.
- Onion – 1 medium; finely chopped
- Kashmiri dry red chillies – 5 numbers (seeds removed)
- Pepper corns – 1.5 tsps. (level)
- Garlic – 4 big cloves
- Shallots – 2 numbers
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Hing – 1/4 tsp.
- Boiling water – slightly less than 4 cups
- Salt – 2.25 tsps. or to taste
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp.
- Soak the kaima rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Soak the dry red chillies in water for 2-3 hours. Grind the chillies along with garlic, shallots, pepper corns, turmeric powder and hing to a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel and add the ground chilly paste. Fry on low heat for 5 minutes. Add the drained kaima rice and the chopped onions. Fry on high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and salt to the rice mixture. Cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Add sugar and mix.
- Serve hot with raitha and pappad.