- Toor dal / Pigeon peas- 2 level tbsps.
- Garlic – 2 big cloves; chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp. + 2 tbsps.; divided
- Tomato – 1.5 cups; chopped
- Greenchillies – 2 numbers; slit
- Shallots – 1/2 cup; only peeled
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Cook the toor dal adding water, salt, chopped garlic, 1 tsp. of coconut oil and turmeric powder. Simmer for 10 minutes after the first whistle. Open the cooker after the pressures subside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, shallots, greenchillies and close the cooker. Simmer for 5 minutes after the first whistle.
- In a wok, heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop. Add the cumin seeds, curry leaves and pour this seasoning over the curry. Cook for 2-3 more minutes. Check for salt and add more salt if needed.
- This curry goes very well with rava upma and gothambu dosa.