- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Drumstick – 6 numbers, cut into 2″ pieces
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers; slit
- Tomato – 1 cup; cut into bite size cubes
- Onion – 1 medium; thinly sliced
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Salt – to taste
For the coconut paste:-
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Green chilly – 1 number
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Shallots – 3-4 numbers; thinly sliced
- Garlic – 1 big clove; chopped
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers; split
- Curry leaves – a few
- Soak toor dal in water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water from the dal.
- Cook the dal with tomato, drumstick pieces, onion, greenchillies, turmeric powder, 1.5 cups of water and 1.25 tsp. of salt in a pressure cooker for just a whistle on high heat. Open the cooker when the pressures subside.
- Grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, salt and greenchilly adding little water to a very smooth paste. Add this paste to the lentil-drumstick mixture and bring the curry to a slow boil. Keep stirring to prevent curdling. Remove from heat.
- In a wok, heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil and add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Stir in the shallots and garlic and fry till they turn almost golden brown in colour. Add the dry red chillies and curry leaves and pour this seasoning over the curry.
- This goes very well with rice.