- Dates – 1 cup; seeded and chopped finely
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
- Boiling water – 1/2 cup
- Plain flour –1 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 100 grams; softened
- Castor sugar – 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Eggs – 2 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 3/4 tsp.
- Walnuts– 1/4 cup; coarsely crushed
For the topping:-
- Chocolate chips – 1/3 cup
- Butter – 1.5 tbsps.; chilled
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Plain flour – 2 tbsps.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Add baking soda and the chopped dates to boiling water. Keep this mixture aside for 1-2 hours.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder.
- Beat together the softened butter, castor sugar and brown sugar for 10 minutes with a hand mixer till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 2 eggs, one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the dry flour mixture alternated with the dates mixture. Fold in teh walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 8″ cake tin. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle it over the batter.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Cut the cake into wedges, prick each wedge with a fork and soak with hot toffee sauce. (Mix together 1 tbsp. of butter, 2 tbsps. of brown sugar and 3 tbsps. of cream in a medium sauce pan and cook till the sauce thickens).