- Prawns -250 grams
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp. + 1 tbsp.;divided
- Shallots – 1/2 cup; thinly sliced
- Greenchilli – 2 numbers; slit
- Curry leaves – a few
- Garlic – 2 big cloves; chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 tbsp; julienne
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Kashmiri dry red chillies – 24 numbers or 50 grams; soaked in hot water for 3-4 hours, deseeded and ground to a smooth paste
- Gamboge – 2 medium pieces soaked in 1/2 cup of hot water
- Water – 1 cup
- Powdered fenugreek – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a manchatti. Add the sliced shallots, greenchillies, curry leaves, garlic and ginger. Fry till golden brown in colour. Add the turmeric powder and cook for a minute on low heat.
- Stir in the chilli paste and cook for 5 minutes on low heat till the oil starts to separate.
- Add the gamboge along with the water it was soaked in, water, salt and fenugreek powder and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
- Add the prawns and cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Finally add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and a few curry leaves and remove from heat.