For the crumb fried chicken:-
- Chicken – 250 grams; boneless, cut into 1″ cubes
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Paprika powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Mustard paste – 1/4 tsp.
- Garlic – 3 big cloves; pasted
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tsp.
- Tomato ketchup – 1.5 tsp.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp.
- Oil – 1 tsp. + for deep frying
- Egg – 1 number; beaten with a pinch of salt
- Bread crumbs – as needed
For the sauce:-
- Butter – 1 tbsp.
- Plain flour – 1 tbsp.
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cooking cream – 1/2 cup
- Salt and pepper powder – to taste
- Mustard powder – 1/4 tsp.
- BBQ sauce – 1/2 tbsp.
- Hoisin sauce – 1/2 tbsp.
- Parsley – 1 tsp.
- Fresh basil – 1 tsp.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper powder, paprika powder, mustard paste, ginger garlic paste, tomato ketchup and oil for 2-3 hours. Dip each marinated chicken piece in beaten egg and roll in bread crumbs. Heat oil for deep-frying the chicken pieces. When the oil becomes hot, reduce heat to minimum and carefully slide in the chicken cubes. Cook for just 2 minutes on each side or till golden brown in colour. Maintain the heat of the oil at medium while frying. Drain the fried chicken cubes on to a paper towel.
- For the sauce, heat the butter. Add the flour and cook on low heat for a minute. Add water, cream, salt, pepper, mustard powder & cook till saucy. Stir in the BBQ and Hoisin sauces. Add the chicken cubes, parsley and basil leaves & mix.
- Serve hot with garlic bread/ mashed potatoes/ use this as a sandwich filling.
Source:- Masala Mornings by Shireen Anwar