- All purpose flour – 2 cups minus 2 level tbsps.
- Cornstarch – 2 level tbsps.
- Baking powder – 2 tsps.
- Baking soda – 1 tsp.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder –3 tbsps. (level) (I used Al Ali)
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Oil– 1/4 cup ( I had used sunflower oil)
- Butter – 50 grams; melted and cooled to room temperature
- Caster sugar – 13/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Eggs – 3 numbers; big
- Buttermilk – 1 cup (made with 1 cup of whole milk and 2 tbsps. of white vinegar)
For the frosting:-
- Butter – 150 grams
- Cocoa powder- 2 tbsps. , sifted
- Icing sugar – 2 cups , sifted
- Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Sift together the all purpose flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix together the eggs, caster sugar, vanilla essence, oil & the melted butter in a big mixing bowl.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour mixture in 2 additions alternated with the buttermilk. The batter would be a bit runny.
- Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pan. Fill the liners with the batter till 3/4th full.
- Bake at 180C for 18 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely before piping the frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter with a hand mixer for 3-4 minutes or till creamy and fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar in 4 additions & beat well after each addition. Add the cocoa powder, salt & vanilla essence and mix. Pipe this mixture over the cooled cupcakes.