- Drumstick – 3 numbers; cut into 2′ long pieces
- Shallots – 15 numbers; sliced
- Greenchilly – 1 number; slit
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Tamarind – 1 level tsp. soaked in 1/4 cup of hot water, squeezed and strained (Do not add too much)
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup (fresh)
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Shallots – 1 tsp.; chopped
- Curry leaves – a few
- Combine the drumstick pieces, greenchilly, shallots, water, 1 tsp. of salt, coriander powder, chilly powder and turmeric powder in a medium sauce pan & bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on low heat or till 3/4th cooked. Ad the tamarind extract and cook till 3/4th of the liquid has evaporated. Finally add the thick coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a wok & splutter the mustard seeds. Add the curry leaves and shallots and fry till the shallots turn golden brown in colour. Pour this seasoning over the curry,
- Serve hot with rice.