For the rice:-
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Green cardamom – 1 number
- Onion – 1 small or a half a medium; cut into bite size cubes
- Boiling water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp.
For preparing the cauliflower:-
- Cauliflower – 400 grams; cut into bite size florets
- Tandoori masala powder – 2 level tbsps. ( I used Natco Brand)
- Salt – 1/8 tsp.
- Greenchilly paste – 1/2 tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp.
- Egg – 1 small
- Cornflour – 2 heaping tbsps.
- Plain flour – 2 heaping tbsps.
- Oil for deep-frying
Marinate the cauliflower florets with all the ingredients from 2 to 8 for 30 minutes and deep-fry in hot oil on medium heat till done. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
For the cauliflower masala:-
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Cardamom – 1 number
- Clove – 1 number
- Peppercorns – 2 to 3 numbers
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp. ( I used 4 big garlic cloves and 1 heaping tsp. of ginger)
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers (made into a paste)
- Fried onions – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – a few
- Cilantro – 2 tbsps; pasted
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 level tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander seeds- 1/2 tsp.; dry roasted and crushed
- Biriyani masala powder – 1 bit heaping tbsp. ( I used Eastern)
- Tomato – 1/2 cup; pureed in the mixer/blender
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp.
- Red chilly sauce – 1 tsp.
- Green Capsicum – 1/2 a medium; roasted on the fire and pureed in the mixer/blender
- Thick curd – 1/3 cup
- Green Capsicum – half of a medium; finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the clove, cardamom and pepper corns. Stir in the ginger, garlic and greenchilly paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add the fried onions and curry leaves. Stir in the chilly powder, cumin powder and biriyani masala powder and cook for a minute on low heat. Add the tomato puree and cook tiull the oil starts to separate. Add the cilantro paste, soy sauce and red chilly sauce and cook for a minute on low heat. Stir in the pureed capsicum and mix. Add the curd and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the chopped capsicum, crushed coriander seeds and fried cauliflower florets and mix. If the gravy is too dry you may add 1/4 cup of water.
- Soak the Basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain water from the rice and set aside. Heat 1 tsp. of ghee in a deep bottomed pan. Stir in the rice and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat. Add boiling water and salt & cover cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Add 1tsp. of soy sauce and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In an oven proof dish, spread half of the cooked rice. Sporead teh cauliflower mixture over the 1st layer followed by the teamianing rice. Cover with a foil and bake at 180C for 10 minutes.
- Mix the rice with the masala and let it rest for 2-3 hours before serving.