- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 2 cups + 1 cup; divided ( I used full cream milk powder mixed with water to make milk)
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Green cardamom – 1 number
- Sweetened condensed milk – 1/2 tin or 200 grams
- Desiccated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Powdered cardamom – 1 tsp.
- Chopped almonds -1/4 cup
- Soak the chana dal in water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water and cook the dal adding 2 cups of milk. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and partially cover cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Most of the milk should have evaporated by this time. Grind the cooked dal to a coarse paste using a food processor.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan & add green cardamom. Stir in the chana dal paste and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes or till the paste is lightly browned. Add the condensed milk and 1 cup of milk and cook till the mixture turns thick and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add the desiccated coconut, chopped almonds and powdered cardamom and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased plate. Cut into squares when completely cool.