- Fish – 500 grams; cut into 1″ cubes
- Drumstick – 1 number; slit into half from the middle and cut into 2″ pieces
- Thondan mulaku – 2 numbers; slit
- Green mango – 5 to 6 two inch pieces ( I used 2 medium pieces of kokum instead)
- Water – 2 cups
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Salt to taste
For the coconut paste:-
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1.25 heaping tbsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Grated Coconut – 1.5 cups
- Shallots – 5 numbers
- Fenugreek/Uluva – 1/4 tsp. ; roasted and ground
- Curry leaves – 2 or 3 numbers
- Dry roast the coriander, turmeric and chilly powders for a minute on low heat.
- Grind the grated coconut along with the roasted fenugreek powder, shallots, curry leaves and the roasted spice powders to a very smooth paste adding little water. Transfer this paste to a meenchatti. Add the fish pieces, salt, drumstick pieces, chillies, green mango and water and mix with hand.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Partially cover cook on medium low for 20 minutes. Finally add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and curry leaves and remove from heat.