- Cherupayar/ Green gram – 1 cup
- Salt – 1.25 tsp.
- Spring onion – 1.75 cup; chopped
- Greenchilly – 5 to 6 numbers; very finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs;finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp. ; chopped
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Roasted and crushed cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Roasted and crushed coriander seeds – 1 tsp.
- Oil to deep-fry
- Boil green gram with 2 cups of water for 2 minutes and soak the gram in the same water for 5-6 hours. Rub the gram between your palm to remove the green skin and discard it. Grind the gram to a slightly coarse paste adding salt.
- Transfer the gram paste to a medium mixing bowl. Add the baking powder, spring onion, greenchillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander and cumin powders and mix.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Make small lime shaped balls from the gram mixture and flatten them to make vadas. Fry the vadas on medium heat till done. Drain on paper towels and serve with any chutney/dip.