- Onion -1 medium, cut into medium square pieces ( I sliced the onion instead, a mistake)
- Carrot – 1 number; thinly sliced
- Potato – 2 medium numbers; peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- Capsicum – 1 number; cut into medium square pieces
- Curry leaves – a few
- Oil – to deep -fry
For the batter:-
- Besan – 2 cups
- Baking soda – 1/3 tsp.
- Salt – 1.75 tsps.
- Ajwain / ayamodakam– 1.5 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1.5 -2 tsps.
- Water – as needed
- Mix together besan, ajwain, salt, baking soda and chilly powder in a medium mixing bowl. Add water to make a batter that has the same consistency of dosa batter.
- Heat oil to deep-fry the fritters. When the oil becomes really hot, reduce the heat to low. Dip each piece of vegetable in the batter and slide them carefully into the hot oil. Fry the fritters on medium heat till light golden brown in colour. Drain them on paper towels.
- Just before serving, fry the fritters for a second time in very hot oil; not on low heat or not on medium heat. Fry till they are crisp and drain on paper towels. Fry the curry leaves & use as a garnish.