For the mutton masala:-
- Mutton -500 grams, cut into bite size pieces & washed with salt & vinegar
- Thick curd – 3/4 cup
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1.5 tsp. (level)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Canola oil- 1 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 3/4 heaping tbsp
- Onion – 1.5 cup, thinly sliced
- Fresh tomato puree- 3/4 cup
- Mint leaves – a small handful
- Cilantro-4 tbsp, chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Cashews – 10 numbers
- Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsps.
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers; chopped
For the rice:-
- Basmathi Rice – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 2 1″ piece
- Cloves – 4 numbers
- Cardamom-4 numbers
- Salt -2 tsp
- Boiling water – 3.75 cups
- Fried onions – 1 cup
- Warm milk – 1/4 cup
- Rose essence -1/2 tsp
- Yellow food color – a pinch
- Cashews – 25 grams
- Raisins- 1 tbsp
- Marinate the mutton pieces with curd, 1 tsp. of salt, kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder for 4-5 hours in your refrigerator.
- Grind together the cashews, coconut and poppy seeds to a very smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat ghee and oil and add the ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for a minute. Stir in the onion and cook till it turns golden brown in colour. Add the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes till the oil starts to separate. Add the marinated mutton and mix on medium high heat for a minute. Cover cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Add the cashew paste, mint and chopped cilantro and mix. Transfer the mixture to a pressure cooker and cook. Simmer for 15 minutes after the first whistle. Open cooker once the pressures subside. Add the greenchillies, lemon juice and mix. Cook till the gravy turns thick.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes & drain thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tbsps of ghee & toast the cashews & raisins. Keep aside.
- To the same pan, add the whole spices and cook for a minute. Stir in the rice and fry for 2 minutes on medium high heat. Now add 3.75 cups of boiling water & 2 tsps. of salt. Cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Keep it undisturbed for another 10 minutes.
- Mix food colour & rose essence with the warm milk.
- For layering grease an oven proof dish with ghee & spread half of the cooked rice in it. Pour half of the rose flavoured milk over it & spread meat along with its gravy over the rice followed by the remaining rice, rose flavoured milk, cashews, raisins, fried onions.
- Cover the dish with the foil and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Source:- Annie’s kitchen