- Plain flour –1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 150 grams; softened
- Light Brown sugar – 3/4 cup (packed)
- Eggs – 3 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Lemon rind – of a medium lemon
- walnut halves – 3/4 cup or as needed
For the syrup:-
- Butter – 50 grams
- Golden syrup – 2 tbsps.
- Dark brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – of half a medium sized lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder.
- Beat together the softened butter and brown sugar for 10 minutes with a hand mixer till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 3 eggs, one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the dry flour mixture.
- Transfer this mixture to a prepared 8″ round cake tin. Spread the walnut halves on top.
- Bake at 180C for 35 minutes. While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Combine the golden syrup, butter, dark brown sugar and lemon juice in a medium sauce pan & cook till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Pour the syrup over the hot cake.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with ice cream.