This recipe will make 6 bread cones. The dough is richer than a regular bread dough.
For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 11/2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1 level tsp.
- Butter – 2 tbsps.; melted
- Milk powder – 1 tbsp.
- Lukewarm milk– 1/2 cup
- Egg – half a big egg
- Sugar –1.5 level tbsps
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.
- Sunflower/ Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Lukewarm water – as required
For the filling
- Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup
- Chicken – 250 grams, boiled with salt and pepper and shredded
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup; chopped
- Tomato ketchup -1 tbsp.
- Mustard paste – 1 tsp.
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt and pepper powder to taste
- Chopped cabbage/lettuce for garnish
- For the dough, mix together the plain flour, egg, melted butter, oil, milk powder, yeast, sugar, salt, lukewarm milk and water. Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours/ till the dough doubles in volume. The dough has to be really, really soft.
- While the dough is resting, make the cone shaped molds using chart paper and foil as shown in the picture. Use a stapler pin to secure the ends of the cone.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Punch down the risen dough and roll it into a big rectangle of 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut the rectangle into long strips or ropes of 1/2″ thickness.
- Take a cone shaped mold and wet it’s base.Starting from the bottom tip of the cone mold, start rolling the ‘rope’ round and round the mold keeping the spirals close to each other. You need to cover 3/4th of the mold with the ‘rope’. Repeat to make 5 more bread cones. Keep in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Apply egg wash and bake the cones (with the cone molds) at 190C for 17 minutes/ till the cones turn golden brown in colour. Apply melted butter on the hot cones and keep them covered for a few minutes. Remove the baked bread cones from the molds.
- For the filling, mix together mayonnaise, salt & pepper to taste, garlic clove , 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp of mustard paste, chopped capsicum, oregano, red chilli flakes and 250 grams of boneless & skinless chicken breasts ( boiled with salt & pepper & shredded) in a bowl.Divide this mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Stuff the cones with the chicken mixture. Garnish with shredded cabbage and serve immediately.