For the base:-
- Butter – 100 grams (chilled)
- Icing/Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- All purpose flour – 1.75 cups
- Egg – 1 small
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Chilled water – 1-2 tbsps.
For the coconut filling:-
- Butter – 100 grams; melted
- Caster sugar – 3/4 to 1 cup
- egg – 2 numbers
- Coconut essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Desiccated coconut – 1 cup
- coconut flakes- as required ( I just shredded a piece of coconut with a grater)
- Sift together the plain flour and salt.
- Mix together the sifted flour mixture and icing sugar. Add the chilled butter and mix gently till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add egg, essence and chilled water and mix till the whole thing comes together in the form of a dough. Wrap the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Take the chilled dough and roll it into a circle of 1/4″ thickness. Cut out circles from the rolled out dough using a sharp lid. The circles should be a little bit bigger than the base of the tart molds. Place the circles in mini tart molds. Prick the base and sides of the tarts with a fork.
- Bake at 190C for 15 minutes till golden brown in colour. Let the tart cool down completely to room temperature before filling with the coconut mixture.
- Beat together the melted butter, egg, coconut essence, caster sugar and coconut cream. Fold in the desiccated coconut and mix. Pour the coconut mixture into the tart shells. Sprinkle flaked coconut on top of the coconut mixture.
- Bake the tarts at 180C for 20 minutes. The coconut mixture would be a little jiggly even after the baking time of 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving.