- Potatoes – 2 numbers, medium(boiled & mashed)
- Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic – 3 big cloves, finely chopped
- Greenchilly (preferably Kantharimulaku) – 3-4 numbers or as per taste, very finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 2 tbsps, minced
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp.
- salt to taste
- Egg – 1 number; beaten
- Bread crumbs – as needed
- Oil to deep fry
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil & add the mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter. Stir in the chopped onions, curry leaves, garlic & greenchillies. Cook till the onions just start to change their colour to golden brown. Don’t brown the onions too much.
- Stir in the turmeric powder & cook on low heat for a minute.Add the mashed potato & mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt. Mix well & remove from heat.
- Allow the potato mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Make cutlets as usual by shaping the mixture into patties, dipping patties in beaten egg, rolling in bread crumbs & deep frying.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.