- Mutton – 1 kg.
- Onion – 4 numbers (medium); thinly sliced
- Ginger paste – 2 tsps.
- Garlic paste – 2 tsps.
- Shallot – 6 numbers; ground to a paste
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 3 level tsps.
- Garam masala powder – 1 level tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Heat coconut oil and cook the thinly sliced onions till they turn golden brown in colour. Add the ginger, garlic and shallot pastes and cook for 7-10 more minutes.
- Stir in the chilly powder and turmeric powder and cook for a minute on low heat.
- Add the mutton pieces and 2 tsps. of salt and cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat. The meat will release a lot of water.
- Transfer the mutton mixture to a pressure cooker. Add 1/4 cup more of water and garam masala powder. Cook for 20 minutes after the first whistle. Open the cooker after the pressures subside. Cook till the meat is completely dry and coated with teh onion mixture.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a frying pan. Add curry leaves and cook on medium low heat for 30 minutes or till the colour of the meat changes to a black-brown colour.
Note:- This recipe does not call for coriander powder or tomato.