- Plain flour – 2 cups
- Baking soda – 1 level tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Butter – 150 grams
- Castor sugar – 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup (tightly packed)
- Semi sweet chocolate chips- 100 grams
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Egg – 2 numbers
- Vanilla or chocolate essence – 1 tsp.
- Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
For the topping:-
- Butter – 40 grams
- Milk/cream – 3 tbsps.
- Icing sugar – 1.5 cups
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1.5 tbsps.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Sift together the plain flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the chocolate chips, milk and brown sugar in a medium sauce pan and cook till the chocolate melts completely. Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar till creamy and fluffy. Beat in the 2 eggs, one by one and the essence.
- Beat in the buttermilk.
- Fold in the sifted plain flour mixture alternated with the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared 9″ square tin and bake at 180 C for 25 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the topping for the squares.
- For the topping, combine milk and butter in a sauce pan and cook till the butter melts completely. Add the cocoa powder and icing sugar and mix. Apply this mixture on the cake when it is lukewarm and spread evenly.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.