- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Instant yeast – 1 level tsp.
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Full cream milk powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Egg – 1 medium; lightly beaten
- Sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Cream cheese triangles – 2 numbers
- Vanilla essence – 1/4 tsp.
- Lukewarm water – as needed
- Oil – 2 tbsps.+ as needed for deep- frying
- jam or buttercream as needed
- icing sugar as needed
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, baking powder, milk powder, egg, vanilla essence, 2 tbsps. of oil and cream cheese. Knead well to make a soft and smooth dough adding enough lukewarm water.
- Keep this dough covered in a warm place for 1 hour. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a thin roti. Cut out small circles of 2″ dia. using a sharp lid or circle cookie cutter. Let them rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. When it becomes really hot, lower heat to minimum and drop the circles into the hot oil. The circles will puff up into beautiful buns. Fry the buns on a medium heat till golden brown in colour. Sprinkle icing sugar over the buns when they are still hot.
- Cut each bun in half and fill them with jam or buttercream. But I like to enjoy these plain without any filling.