- Paneer – 200 grams; cut into small cubes
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Butter – 25 grams
- Onion – 2 cups; thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1 cup; chopped
- Amchoor powder – 1 tsp.
- Garlic – 5 big cloves; made into a paste
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece; made into a paste
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers; slit
- Shallots – 5 numbers; peeled and thickly sliced
- Green capsicum – 1 small; cut into 1″ cubes
- Cilantro- 1/4 cup; chopped
- Cream – 2 tbsps.
- Salt to taste
For the Kadhai Masala:-
- Green cardamom – 4 numbers
- Cloves – 4 numbers
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsps.
- Fennel seeds – 2 tbsps.
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsps.
- Peppercorns – 8 numbers
Dry roast all these spices together for 1-2 minutes and grind to a fine powder. Use only half of the masala for this recipe
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a broad non-stick pan & add the chopped onion and cook till it turns golden brown in color.Throw in the chopped tomato and 2 tbsps. of water and cook on medium heat till the tomato turns mushy and oil starts to separate. Blend this onion-tomato masala to a smooth paste along with the kadhai masala and amchoor powder in a mixer/grinder without adding any water.
- Heat butter in the same pan & add the greenchilly, ginger and garlic pastes. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the shallots and cook till it turns translucent. Stir in the capsicum and fry for a minute. Add the ground masala paste and fry for a minute more.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the paneer cubes, cream and cook further for 2-3 minutes. Finally add cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with roti or naan.