- Basmathi Rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tbsps.
- bay leaf – 1 number
- water – 3 cups
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup (extracted from 1 cup of grated coconut)
- Onion – 1 cup; finely chopped
- Potato – 1 cup
- Cauliflower – 1 cup; florets chopped finely
- Carrot – 1/2 cup
- French beans – 1/4 cup; finely chopped
- Tomato – 3/4 cup; seeded and chopped
- Salt to taste
For the green masala paste:-
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 small
- Green cardamom – 3 numbers
- Cloves – 3 numbers
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp.
- white poppy seeds – 1.5 tsp.
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece
- garlic – 3 big cloves
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers
Grind all the ingredients from 1 to 10 to a fine paste without adding water
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice & keep the rice aside.
- Heat the ghee & add the bay leaf. Add and fry the chopped onion till it turns golden brown in colour. Stir in the ground green masala paste and cook for 5 minutes or till the oil starts to separate.
- Add the chopped potato, beans and carrot and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomato and cook further for 2 more minutes. Add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together 3 cups of water and 1 cup of coconut milk and bring this mixture to a rolling boil.
- Add this to the rice mixture and cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with raitha,.